In 1925, a group of businessmen purchased 90 acres from Rogers Development and built a nine-hole, semi-private golf course. Located on some of the highest elevations in Cayuga County, the name “Highland Park” was adopted.
The course underwent major renovations in the 1930s, which was led by A.W. Tillinghast, a world-renowned golf course architect who designed and created many golf courses in New York State. Over the next 20 years, the configuration of the nine-hole layout was improved by adding sand traps, planting trees and relocating tees and greens. In 1945, the original clubhouse was sold and a new clubhouse was built at the present Franklin Street Road site.
Over the subsequent 40 years, Highland Park maintained a premium nine-hole golf course. Then, in the 1970s, the club invested in an additional 55 acres and built what is now the back nine. Completed on July 4, 1974, and designed by Geoffrey S. Cornish, a famous New England golf course architect, the back nine offers exceptional challenge and adventure to the average golfer with its quick sloping greens and surrounding bunkers. The ensuing years brought the required fine-tuning and maturity that completed the transition to an 18-hole golf course.
Barry Jordan, golf course architect and owner of Jordan Golf Design, designed and completed a massive sand bunker renovation project to the front nine holes.
On September 4, 2007 a fire destroyed Highland’s clubhouse. After a year and a half of planning, a new clubhouse was built and opened in April of 2009. The new clubhouse was moved from the old building’s site and is now situated directly across from the 18th green. With the large wrap around deck facing the final hole on the course, patrons are treated to a beautiful panoramic view of a large portion of the course.
Highland’s mission is to maintain a position as one of Central New York’s finest semi-private golf courses. We will strive to maintain and improve our golf course and club facilities, to be responsive to membership needs and to strive to maintain and adequate and affordable membership.